In 1681, Tessin the Younger began laying out the royal palace's symmetrical Baroque gardens lined by avenues of linden trees. The parterre closest to the palace, with its complex design, has been replaced by lawns with boxwood borders. Hercules' Fountain, gained from the spoils of war, is a work by Adrian de Vries. Beyond it, the water garden comprises ten water jets and lawns lined with box trees. The landscaped garden (1780) is designed in the English style, with pools, canals, islands and bridges.