This disparate block of three medieval buildings overlooks Römerberg. In the middle is the Haus Zum Römer, which contains 52 portraits of emperors in the Imperial Hall. The square is demarcated to the south by the Alte Nikolaikirche (Old St Nicholas' Church, 13C), with its four corner turrets. The addition of a Gothic-style gallery (1476) gave distinguished guests a great view over the square and events held there. See also the Fountain of Justice (Gerechtigkeitsbrunnen, 1543).