The square was redesigned after the fire of 1842. It is presided over by the bell tower of the neo-Renaissance town hall (1897). The bridge crosses the Alsterfleet, which is a vestige of old Hamburg's canal system. It is connected to the lock that maintains the level of the Alster. Don't miss the piece by Barlach that stands at the head of the bridge - a tall stele of the Monument for the Dead of the First World War.