Apr-Sep: Tue-Sat 10am-7pm, Sun 2pm-7pm; Oct-Mar: Tue-Sat 10am-4pm, Sun 11am-4pm
The construction (1630-1650) of the fort of Hillsborough, a fortified quadrilateral spread over a hectare, was built in the early 17C by Colonel Arthur Hill. The fortifications were intended to control the road between Belfast and Country Down. Later, in the Georgian era, the guards' lodgings were turned into a country home for the Hill family. The rampart walk overlooks Hillsborough Forest, a pleasant park and lake and a picnic area.