Originally, this begijnhof (founded c 1230) encompassed the district near the church. Extended (7ha) in the 17C, it was the largest in Belgium. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It was purchased by the university in 1962 and its brick houses, some of which have gardens, now accommodate students and faculty. Two arms of the Dyle run through the grounds. The Gothic church is extremely austere.