The cloister's unusual position beneath the church is probably due to topographical reasons. Begun in 1278, it was not completed until the 14C. The size of the bays and the beautiful stone tracery, different in each case, invariably impress visitors. The capitals and friezes illustrate the talents of the craftsmen, and some of the themes reveal an Islamic influence. In the southwest corner stands the 60m-high belfry, a fine example of the Gothic Catalan style.