Located at the eastern edge of Hollywood, Barnsdall Park sits atop the former Olive Hill, so named for the trees that fringe it. In the late 1910s, oil heiress and arts patron Aline Barnsdall bought the 36-acre estate and, with Frank Lloyd Wright, developed plans for the site that included a house and guest quarters (Hoolyhock House), and a theater and arts complex with studios and apartments. Only the main residence and two guest houses were ever built. Barnsdall deeded them, along with 11 acres, to the city of Los Angeles in 1927. The Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery shares the site, offering changing shows by local artists. The grounds provide good views of Griffith Observatory and the downtown skyline.