The museum was founded in 1882 and turned into an open-air museum in 1892. The buildings, some original, others that have been moved here, illustrate the four orders of the kingdom: nobility, bourgeoisie, clergy and peasantry. The Deacon's House dates from the 14C. The orange Aristocrat's House contains a fine collection of porcelain and silverware. The bourgeois furniture is presented in a large three-storey building. The Schlyter House is dedicated to artisan guilds, while another section is devoted to agriculture.