The administrative and cultural centre, an elegant group of three slender buildings, typifies the work of world-renowned architect Alvar Aalto (1898-1976), whose structures are characterised by rigorous modernity. Lappia-talo (1976) houses the municipal theatre, concert hall and convention centre. Its form is inspired by the surrounding hills. The first to be built was the library (Kirjastotalo), which was completed in 1968. Based on plans drawn up in the early 1970s, the town hall (Kaupungintalo) was completed in 1986.