end Feb-Oct: Sat-Wed 11am-5pm (daily in Aug); Nov-end Feb: weekends 11am-3pm; ticket counter 45min before closing
Built for Admiral George Delaval between 1718 and 1729, this large Nordic version of a Palladian villa is the masterpiece of John Vanbrugh, the architect of Blenheim Palace and Castle Howard. Two symmetrical wings flank the house, with impressive stables occupying the east wing. The interior of the central section of the property, devastated by fire in 1822, has been restored. A pretty portico adorns the south façade.