A theatre dedicated to Shakespeare was built here in 1879. Destroyed by a fire in 1926, it was replaced in 1932 by this large venue, nowadays the headquarters of the Royal Shakespeare Company, which performs in three theatres in the town. The company's museum displays a collection of paintings, sculptures and accessories. Adjoining it is the compact Swan Theatre (1986), built inside the shell of an earlier theatre: its apron and balconies recreate the look of a Tudor theatre. Backstage tours are also available here.