10am-11.30am, 2pm-5.30pm, Wed and Sat 2pm-5.30pm - closed Sun-Mon and Bank Hols, Dec
Considered by Matisse to be his masterpiece, this 1951 chapel has blue and white tiles and a surmounting wrought-iron cross (13m high). Inside one is taken aback by the contrast of the pure colours of its stained glass against a white background. Everything is Matisse's work (altar, furnishings and liturgical items) and simplicity prevails throughout. The large figures painted on the right wall (St Dominic and the Virgin and Child) are very much in Matisse's archetypal style.